Saturday, February 17, 2024

Need for Jesus

“Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. 
I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners.” 
LUKE 5:31-32


Jesus came to help those who recognize their own spiritual need. It’s often interpreted as a metaphor where “the healthy” refers to those who believe they are righteous and “the sick” refers to those who acknowledge their sins and seek forgiveness. It underscores the mission of Jesus to bring spiritual healing and salvation to those who seek it. It’s often interpreted as a call to humility and recognition of one’s own shortcomings.

27 Jesus saw a tax collector named Levi sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” 28 And leaving everything behind, he got up and followed him. 29 Then Levi gave a great banquet for him in his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were at table with them. 30 The Pharisees and their scribes complained to his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 Jesus said to them in reply, “Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. 32 I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners.” (Luke 5:27-32)

In the realm where spirits dwell, a tale of grace I've come to tell of the Healer, so divine, whose love for sinners is the sign. "Those who are healthy need me not, but the sick, in pain and distraught. For it's not the righteous I seek, but the humble, the meek. I've not come to call the just, but sinners, in me they must trust. To repentance, I lead their way, in my love, they'll forever stay. The righteous stand in their might, blinded by their own light but the sinners, they see the truth, in their flaws, they find the proof. So, come all, who are unwell, in your hearts, let the Healer dwell. For the sick need the physician's care, and in His love, find solace there."

Lord Jesus, we come before You, acknowledging our need for Your grace for we know that those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. We confess our transgressions and shortcomings, understanding that You have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners. We are the sinners, Lord, in need of Your mercy and forgiveness. Help us to seek You in our weakness, to find strength in Your love and healing in Your touch. May we find comfort in knowing that You are the Great Physician who heals not just our bodies, but our souls. Guide us in our journey towards repentance, help us turn away from our sins and towards Your love. May we always remember that You have come not for the righteous, but for us sinners, to bring us back to You. With much love and full of praise and thanksgiving we pray in Your most holy name. Amen.


This reading emphasizes the importance of righteousness and integrity. It suggests that if one refrains from oppressive actions, false accusations, and malicious speech, then they will be guided and blessed by the Lord, even in times of hardship or scarcity. This aligns with many religious teachings that advocate for kindness, truthfulness, and justice as pathways to divine guidance and blessings. It’s a powerful reminder of the potential spiritual rewards of leading a virtuous life.

9 Thus says the Lord: If you remove from your midst oppression, false accusation, and malicious speech; 10 if you bestow your bread on the hungry and satisfy the afflicted; then light shall rise for you in the darkness, and the gloom shall become for you like midday; 11 then the Lord will guide you always and give you plenty even on the parched land. He will renew your strength, and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring whose water never fails. 12 The ancient ruins shall be rebuilt for your sake, and the foundations from ages past you shall raise up; “Repairer of the breach,” they shall call you, “Restorer of ruined homesteads.” 13 If you hold back your foot on the sabbath from following your own pursuits on my holy day; if you call the sabbath a delight, and the Lord’s holy day honorable; if you honor it by not following your ways, seeking your own interests, or speaking with malice; 14 then you shall delight in the Lord, and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth; I will nourish you with the heritage of Jacob, your father, for the mouth of the Lord has spoken. (Isaiah 58:9-14)

In the heart of the community, let justice reign, remove oppression, let no false accusation stain. Silence the tongues that maliciously speak for it's the guidance of the Lord that we seek. If from your midst, these evils you remove, in the path of righteousness, you'll smoothly move. The Lord will guide you, come what may, even in parched lands, you'll find your way. He'll give you plenty, where scarcity was rife, breathe into barren lands, a new life. So, let your actions be just and true, and watch the Lord's blessings shower on you. In every word, in every deed, let love and kindness be your creed for when you banish hate and deceit, the Lord's guidance you'll surely meet.

Father in heaven, we come before You today, seeking Your guidance and grace. We understand that if we remove from our midst oppression, false accusation, and malicious speech, then You, O Lord, will guide us always and give us plenty even on the parched land. Help us to rid our hearts and minds of any form of injustice, to speak only truth and to refrain from causing harm with our words. May we strive to create a community that reflects Your love and righteousness. Guide us, O Lord, in all our endeavors, and bless us with Your abundance even in times of scarcity. May we always remember Your promise and strive to live according to Your teachings. In Jesus holy name, we pray. Amen.


This reading is a beautiful expression of faith and trust in God and a heartfelt plea to the Lord, expressing a deep sense of urgency and need for divine attention and intervention. It reflects a deep sense of devotion and reliance on divine protection and guidance, a profound faith in God’s ability to hear and respond to prayers. It’s a powerful affirmation of one’s belief in God’s ability to safeguard and sustain those who trust in Him. 

1 Incline your ear, O Lord; answer me, for I am afflicted and poor. 2 Keep my life, for I am devoted to you; save your servant who trusts in you. You are my God. 3 Have mercy on me, O Lord, for to you I call all the day. 4 Gladden the soul of your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. 5 For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in kindness to all who call upon you. 6 Hearken, O Lord, to my prayer and attend to the sound of my pleading. (Psalm 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6)

"Keep my life," I pray to Thee, for I am devoted, can't you see? Save your servant, in You I trust, in Your wisdom and justice, I adjust. You are my God, my guiding light, in my darkest hour, my knight. In Your hands, I place my fate, with unwavering faith, I patiently wait. My life, my soul, to You I give, in Your grace, I move and live. Your servant, Lord, forever I'll be, in Your love, I am free. So, keep my life, hold it dear, with You, I have nothing to fear for I trust in You, my God, my guide. In Your mercy, I take refuge and hide.

Father in heaven, I come before You today, with a heart full of devotion. "Keep my life," I pray, for I am devoted to You. As Your servant, I place my trust in You, believing in Your promise to save those who trust in You. You are my God, my protector, my guide. In times of joy and in times of strife, I ask You, Lord, to keep my life. For in You, I find my strength, my peace, in Your presence, all my worries cease. So, save Your servant, Lord, I pray, guide me, lead me, show me the way for You are my God, in You I trust, in Your love, which is righteous and just. In Jesus most holy name, I pray. Amen.



Pericope:

IV: The Ministry in Galilee
THE CALL OF LEVI
Luke 5:27-32

III: Return of the First Captives
TRUE FASTING
Isaiah 58:1-14

Third Book of Psalms 73-89
PRAYER IN TIME OF DISTRESS
Psalm 86:1-17

Reflection Source:
Copilot with Bing Chat